The Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana, is a product of the Missionary efforts of the North German Missionary Society (Bremen Mission), founded on 9th April 1836. As a result of Kwadzo Dei Tutu Yao II, King of Peki invitation through his son, Rev. Lorenz Wolf arrived in Peki on 14th November 1847. That day marked the birth of the Church (EPCG). He preached the first Sermon based on Psalm 22:22.
The life and witness of the EPCG are defined by its vision; to be a DYNAMIC AGENT of God, leading in the Great Commission to bring light to where there is darkness and transforming our world into the likeness of Christ.
The Church currently has 16 Presbyteries, 216 Districts, and 1053 Congregations worldwide. On 30th October 1929, The Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana, together with the now Methodist Church of Ghana, Presbyterian Church of Ghana, the Anglican Church, and the A.M.E. Zion Church founded The Christian Council of Ghana (CCG). The Church is also a member of the World Council of Churches, the World Communion of Reformed Churches (WCRC), and the All African Conference of Churches.
In living its mission to propagate the Gospel holistically by empowering its members Spiritually, Materially, and Socio-Culturally, to be effective agents of the Great Commission, the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana operates a University College at Ho, A Theological Seminary at Peki, Six (6) Senior High Schools, Two (2) Colleges Of Education, Two (2) Technical/Vocational Institutes, 157 Junior High Schools, 549 Primary Schools in addition to Nine (9) Health institutions across the country.
The Church is currently headed by Rt. Rev. Dr. Lt. Col. Bliss Divine Agbeko (Rtd) as the moderator of the General Assembly, Rev. Dr. Lawson Dzanku as the Clerk of the General Assembly, and Presbyter Charles Sitsofe Sakyi as the Presbyter Executive of the General Assembly.
On November 14 this year, the Church celebrated its 175th Anniversary under the Theme; A Journey of 175 Years in Ministry; Achievements, Challenges, and the way forward.